Saturday, November 1, 2008

dia de los muertos


In my recent spring cleaning mode I found a set of cards which I bought a good 10 years ago. And today whilst I was wondering what to do with them: frame a few, re-sell a few (is that wrong?) and perhaps even write to someone on them, I realised that it is the days of celebrating dia de los muertos or day of the dead. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and relatives who have died. The celebration occurs on the 1st and 2nd of November...thanks wikipedia. It is celebrated mostly in Mexico, which is where I was lucky to experience it in 1996. Jeepers, I am getting old, but it would have to be one the most amazing and wonderful celebrations I have experienced and also a good excuse this weekend to celebrate something other than the horse races happening here in Melbourne.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The cards remind me of Saint-Saens' 'Danse Macabre' which we listened to in Year 8 Music. I was morbidly fascinated by it at the time.
Last year, my lad (8 at the time) was invited to a classmate's Dia de los muertos celebration for her father (Mexican, married to an American, who was working in Australia for a year). My partner said it reminded him of an Irish wake but with a strong emphasis on physical reminders of the dead person (favourite foods etc).